Macduff emerged from humble origin of a few fishermen’s huts into a town and harbour which was built in 1760. James, the second Lord of Fife, decided to rename the town after his family name ‘MacDuff’. It is situated on Banff Bay and faces the town of Banff across the estuary of the River Deveron. This interesting steel engraving by W.H.Bartlett, engraved by S.Bradshaw from “The Ports, Harbours and Coast Scenery of Great Britain”. Illustrated by views taken on the spot, by W.H.Bartlett, with descriptions by William Beattie. Published by George Virtue, 1842.