The waters of Ballston Spa were part of what was known as the “Hudson River slate. In 1787 Benajah Douglas arrived and built a spacious log cabin near the spring. In 1803 Nicholas Low, formerly a merchant in New York City, built a large resort hotel on present-day Front Street, called the Sans Souci which was a major tourist attraction at the time. This is an original steel engraving from “American Scenery by N.P.Willis Esq. Illustrated by W.H. Bartlett” engraved by J.Sand, Published for the Proprietors by George Virtue, 1839.