Hull East Riding of Yorkshire Scarborough North Yorkshire Sandwich Kent
A set of 3 steel engravings from “The Ports and Harbours, Watering places, and Coast Scenery of Great Britain” by William Beattie, published by George Virtue, 1842.
In 'Hull, East Riding' the town can be seen from the River Humber, looking towards the North. Beyond the river-craft in the fore-ground is the entrance to the Humber Dock. This atmospheric illustration is by G.Balmer, taken on the spot and engraved by E.Finden.
Scarborough, North Yorkshire shows the castle built in 1163 by William le Gros, the light-house on the Old Pier, and the vessels lying in the harbour. In the early 17th century the waters of Scarborough were thought to have medicinal properties, and visitors also enjoyed the benefits of sea-bathing. The engraving is drawn by J.D.Harding, engraved by E. Finden
Sandwich, a historic town on the River Stour is one of the Cinque Ports, and enjoys many privileges. It has many original medieval buildings and gates in the old town walls. However it is an example of fluctuation of trade as many of the channels have dried up and the harbours are deserted. This interesting steel engraving by W.H.Bartlett is engraved by E.Challis.